Wingshooter Kennels specializes in training and conditioning pointing dogs of all breeds for the discriminating upland hunter and lodge owner. The first step in our training program is an understanding of the owner’s experience with his or her dog, and an evaluation of the dog’s current level of performance. This information enables us to set realistic goals and develop a customized program for each dog.
Each client is provided with an early assessment and follow-up call to review the dog’s performance plan. We understand the importance of communication and are committed to sending routine progress reports with pictures so that you can share with family and friends.
The Foundation Program is designed to nurture a young dog’s natural instincts through low stress training and positive reinforcement. The cornerstone of our young dog training is to allow the dog to maintain its intensity, while developing a sense of purpose with proper introduction to obedience, field training and birds. (Dogs are typically 4 to 12 months of age)
- Basic obedience: turn to its name, come, and follow handler to and through the field.
- Socialization with other dogs of similar age in yard and field work.
- Basic handling, pointing, quartering, and backing on check cord.
- Introduction to numerous hunting terrain and environments – developing the dog’s confidence, independence, and natural instincts to seek and find game.
- Introduction to birds in yard and field work.
- Field work with finished gun dogs to instill range, compatibility, and opportunity to back.
- Introduction to gunfire through use of a blank gun.
- Throw and catch sessions to instill a natural willingness to retrieve.
- 6-week program $1,200 includes birds.
The program instills the desire to vigorously seek and find game while developing a staunchness on point. Dogs in this program will become successful hunters; responsive to voice commands, able to perform socially with other hunters and their dogs and be vigorous bird finders. We work on creating an easy handling dog that will respond to commands and serve as a pleasurable hunting companion.
- We use a multitude of training methods and field experiences.
- Basic commands are reinforced.
- Dogs are exposed and worked on hard flying game birds.
- Introduction to gunfire and as the dog progress to shotgun fire.
- Exposed to simulated field hunting situations and the opportunity to retrieve.
- E- collar conditioning.
- Learn “whoa” and encouraged to be steady on birds at point and flush.
- Begin learning to honor and work with other dogs in yard and field exercises.
- Simulated hunting situations with other dogs to instill socialization skills and develop steady backing.
- Seasonal conditioning to improve aerobic performance and toughen footpads.
- Monthly $850 includes birds.
Dog Training Programs include:
- Dog Boarding
Personalized Hunter and Handler Training
Wingshooter Kennels can teach beginner and novice hunters and handlers how to shoot and hunt upland game with your dog or ours. We understand that for a novice and beginner the task of learning and developing effective gear and field skills can be daunting and intimidating, not to mention expensive. We provide the gear and instruction for on premise programs.
- Basic hunter safety and gun handling education.
- Basic shotgun shooting instruction at the range and in the field.
- Field gun handling for safety and effective shooting.
- Introduction to various gun types: handling and shooting included.
- Selecting and acquiring proper hunting clothing, gear, and accessories
- Simulated field hunts through our controlled shooting partners.
- Novice dog handler yard and field work training one-on-one.
- Limited Wild Bird Hunts to our partner Hunting Lodges located in South Dakota.
Train Your Own Dog
We have the fields, training birds and equipment rental for owners to train with their dog. Our controlled shooting operation and multitude of habitat fields allow handlers to train on a variety of situations and species of birds. September through March each season.
We offer a limited number of short and long term boarding kennels for sporting breed dogs. $20/day or $350/month plus tax