Wingshooter Kennels specializes in training and conditioning pointing dogs of all breeds for the discriminating upland hunter and lodge owner. The first step in our training program is an understanding of the dog and owner’s experience and an evaluation of the dog’s current level of performance. This information enables us to set realistic goals and develop a customized program for each dog.
Each client is provided with an early assessment and follow-up call to review the dog’s performance plan. We understand the importance of communication and are committed to sending routine progress reports with pictures and video for you to share with family and friends.
The Foundation Program is designed to nurture a young dog’s natural instincts through low stress training and positive reinforcement. The cornerstone of our young dog training is to allow the dog to maintain its intensity, while developing a sense of purpose with proper introduction to obedience, field work and birds. Dogs are taught to accept restrictions and begin to obey basic commands. (Dogs are typically 4 to 12 months of age)
- Basic obedience: turn to its name, come, and follow handler to, into and from the field.
- Introduction to numerous hunting environments and situations – developing the dog’s confidence, independence, and natural instincts to seek and find game.
- Basic handling, pointing, and quartering drills.
- Socialization with other dogs of similar age in yard and field work.
- Introduction to birds.
- Field work with finished gun dogs to instill range, compatibility, and opportunity to back.
- Introduction to gunfire as pup progresses.
- Throw and catch sessions to instill a natural willingness to retrieve on land and water.
- 6-week program $1,200 includes birds.
The Gun Dog Program instills the desire to vigorously seek and find game while developing a staunchness on point. Dogs in this program will be responsive to voice, whistle and ecollar commands and able to perform socially with other hunters and their dogs. We work on creating an easy handling, ready to hunt bird dog and family companion.
- We use a multitude of training methods and field experiences to build a great hunting companion.
- Basic commands are reinforced.
- Dogs are exposed and worked on hard flying game birds.
- Introduction to gunfire and as the dog progress to shotgun fire.
- Exposed to simulated field hunting situations and the opportunity to retrieve.
- E- collar conditioning to tone and stimulation.
- Whistle controls.
- Introduction to “heel” and “whoa” and encouraged to be staunch on point.
- Begin learning to honor and work with other dogs in yard and field exercises.
- Simulated hunting situations with other dogs to instill socialization skills and develop steady backing.
- Seasonal conditioning to improve aerobic performance and toughen footpads.
- Monthly $850 includes birds.
Personalized Hunter and Handler Training
Wingshooter Kennels can teach beginner and novice hunters and handlers the sport of upland game bird hunting with your dog or ours. We understand that for a novice and beginner the task of learning and developing field skills and effective gear can be daunting and intimidating, not to mention expensive. We provide the gear and instruction for our on-premises program.
- Basic hunter safety and gun handling
- Field gun handling for safety and effective shooting
- Selecting and acquiring proper upland hunting gear and accessories for you and your dog
- Novice handler yard and field work training one-on-one
- Novice hunter field work with gun handling, trained dog, and live birds
- AKC Hunt Test preparation, handling instruction and simulated field test
- Simulated field hunts through our Controlled Shooting Area (CSA) partners
- Each Novice Program is customized to the client’s individual needs. Two-hour program. $200.
Train Your Own Dog
We have the training fields, birds, and loaner equipment for owners to effectively train their own dog. Our food plots, various habitats and waterways allow handlers to train on a variety of situations and hard flying released birds year-round. By appointment only.
- $150 for a 1 ½ hour session with birds
- $100 for a 1 ½ hour session without birds
We offer a limited number of short- and long-term boarding kennels for our sporting breed clients.
- $25/day or $400/month